ap·pre·ci·ate
1. recognize the full worth of.
2. understand (a situation) fully; recognize the full implications of.

moth·er·hood
noun
1. the state of being a mother; maternity.
2. the qualities or spirit of a mother.
3. mothers collectively.
adjective
4. having or relating to an inherent worthiness, justness, or goodness
that is obvious or unarguable.

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Adventures of a Postpartum Mother - Episode 2

“Mom, I need to pee.”

It’s just not fair.

We’re in the bathroom, my toddler undressing to get into the bath while I try to fit in a toilet trip between caring for the baby. The scene feels all too familiar. 

Just before this child before me had been born, my then youngest (second child) had decided he wanted to start using the toilet. I had embraced it, even though it ultimately meant helping to wipe a poopy bottom while nursing a newborn. It was worth the toil, as that child ended up being my easiest to potty train and we dealt with very few accidents, making the terrible timing more worth it.

It was happening again.

The difference was that this time, before this baby, we had tried to convince child #3 that using the toilet was a desirable situation, and considering that he was a whole year older than what child #2 had been when he potty trained, didn’t think we were suggesting anything unreasonable.

“But I will fall in,” he had continually insisted.

Until now.

Now I sit, squatting over the toilet, attempting to have my first postpartum dump (and trying to give myself all the time that that requires), and the toddler decides now that he wants to use the toilet.

Why me?

“You need to pee?” I repeat, trying to delay my inevitable early departure from the facilities. Mercifully, I do manage to get something out.

“Yeeeees,” he whines impatiently. 

I quickly finish up business, and get out of his way, managing to drip blood on the floor in my haste. As soon as I do, he says, “Actually, I don’t.”

“You don’t?”

“Actually, I can’t.”

“You can’t? Honey, we can lift the seat up-“

“No, it’s fine,” he says, busying himself flushing what I had managed to release. 

I watch in stunned amazement, disbelieving the ill-timed request. Oh well, there’ll be another time, right?

My other child calls, “Mom, the baby needs you.”

Right.

The next morning the toddler informs me, “Mom, I went pee in the toilet after I got out of the bath!”

Dreams do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment